DNS / internet connectivity issue (*RESOLVED 8/5*)

Fox

Hi, so besides still being on Windows 7 (I'm poor), today my desktop decided to PMS and have an issue: it randomly could no longer connect to the internet via ethernet or wifi. Even though the signal strength for them is recognized as "Excellent"... When I try to connect either way, I get 4-5 out of 5 bars (solid 5 if its ethernet), but it displays a little yellow triangle with an exclamation! mark, and shit. just. won't. work.

Nothing changed between last night and today when I came home from work. I haven't installed or fucked with any settings... well, until I started trying to fix this.

I called my apartment's service provider. They ran through everything they could think of and said the issue is with my device and "good luck".

Tried a DNS flush or whatever. Even tried restoring to a point from two days ago because I was concerned maybe a game or Windows or something had updated without my noticing and fucked shit up. No dice.

My wifi *is* working because I can connect and use my HP laptop with no problem, and my other roommates' devices are working, including our TV. So wired or wireless, our apartment has internet for sure. It is indeed something wrong with my desktop.

The only way I can connect to the internet, play video games, use Discord, etc., is using my phone as a mobile hotspot. My smart phone is literally connected to the wifi as I type this, and I have a TP Link adapter plugged into the front of my desktop, and through that I am connecting to the mobile hotspot and from there to the glorious internetz.

The guy on the phone must have thought I was as smart and capable as him. I even asked him, "Do you guys do service calls? Because if the issue is on my end, there's no way I can fix it." And he basically said no. For a few minutes I thought that taking it outside and beating it with a baseball bat might fix it, but then all my neighbors and especially my roommates would think I'd finally lost it. Now that I know I can still use my computer, just in a MacGyver'ed way, I've chilled out a bit. I figured I'd ask around here for some help.

Edited by Fox

untitled - GIF on Imgur

Resident Weeb

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

UPDATE: I've DNS flushed, reset everything according to the troubleshooting tips I have found by Googling, done these multiple times via CMD (w/ Administrator Privileges), restarted my computer every single time, and still nothing.

I have tried to manually have it connect to the Google DNS instead of having it set to auto-detect. That didn't work either.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the network driver numerous times.

I've done every order, combination, and repeated steps so many times, I'm pretty sure that none of these solutions are going to work.

Tomorrow I will call my ISP and ask them if they can reset the router or modem or something locally to see if that will resolve the issue. The guy yesterday was convinced it was on my end but I've done and tried everything, including shit that he himself recommended.

As of right now, computer --> ethernet / TP LINK wifi adapter --> internet (*not working*)

computer --> TP LINK wifi adapter --> SAMSUNG mobile hotspot --> UNITED 2 wifi --> internet (*working*)

Edited by Fox

untitled - GIF on Imgur

Resident Weeb

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

9 hours ago, Smith 8th ID said:

Hey Fox,

Do you have admin access to the router/modem? I'd be happy to jump on Discord and we could do a screen share to look through everything.

Thanks Smith! Fortunately this got resolved today; unbeknownst to me, last night the support tech I talked to still put in a work-order request, just in case it wasn't my device. I got a call from them on my way to work this morning saying as much.

I came home from work today, connected my desktop via ethernet and thankfully it is working at the moment! It appears it was a problem on the ISP's end; something to do with the subnet settings...?

idk all the fancy tech language lol. But no, unfortunately I would not have been able to do any kind of reset on the modem or router, and the switches are also inaccessible, to my knowledge.

Appreciate the offer to help though. :)

Edited by Fox
  • Like 1

untitled - GIF on Imgur

Resident Weeb

• Fox changed the title to DNS / internet connectivity issue (*RESOLVED 8/5*)
  • 10 months later...