The Book Club

Rotte 8th ID

Welcome to the Book Club. First rule of book club is... always talk about books!

Post books you've read and have meant a lot to you.

Post books you've wanted to read and want to hear what others thought of them.

Post books you've read and want others to read along with a review.

Or just post pictures of awesome books.

Whatever works for you!

358_3.png

spacer.png

CIB-3-1.png

CMB-1-1.pngpathfinder-1.png

Presidential-Unit-Citation-3-1.jpgMeritorious-Unit-Citation-2-1.jpg

Distinguished-Service-2-1.jpgPurple-Heart-1.jpg

https://images.eighthid.com/awards/Meritorious%20Service%20Ribbon.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpgArmy-Achievement-2.jpg
Prisoner-of-War-1.jpgGood-Conduct-1.jpgAmerican_Defense_Service_5.jpg
Asiatic-Pacific-Campaign-1.jpgEuropean-Africian-Middle-Eastern-CampaigWorld-War-II-Victory-4-1.jpg
Bingo-6.jpgAIT-Ribbon-3.jpghttps://images.eighthid.com/awards/Army_Service_Ribbon.jpg

armystaff-1.pnginstructor-1.pngrecruiter-1.pngPersonnel-1.pngoperations-1.pngMilitary-Police.png

SS-2-Years.png

Previous Positions

Command Staff - Executive Officer
TrainingMilitary Police, PersonnelRecruitmentOperations - OIC

2021 World War II Realism Campaign Organizer

Official Realism Record
Leader - 5-0
Assistant Leader - 2-0

Inner Unit - 0-2

I'll start it off!

My favorite read of all time is Watchmen by Alan Moore.

41chVzBhJiL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book/graphic novel/comic is one that I've read 9 times since I first received it from a friend in 2010. I have done an almost annual re-read since then. Last year was the first year that I did not.

It's the only graphic novel to make Time Magazine's All-Time best 100 English language Novels from 1923 to 2005. It ranked at #18.

The comic is based on an alternate timeline of the world where superheroes came into existence in the 1930s and had major social influence through major events such as the Vietnam War and Nixon Administration. Due to protests by civilians and police against them, they become outlawed and the story takes place in the 1980s during the Cold War as nuclear armageddon becomes more and more of a reality and the heroes of the disbanded group "the Watchmen," attempt to discover who is trying to kill them off and potentially cause world disaster.

It's a great take on realistic heroes and the problems they face as people. It has its moments where it feels like a normal comic book, but then uses that against you as the reader to throw plot twists into the story. The writing and illustration are superb and I recommend it to most anyone, even non-comic readers.

358_3.png

spacer.png

CIB-3-1.png

https://images.eighthid.com/awards/Meritorious%20Service%20Ribbon.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpgArmy-Achievement-2.jpg
Asiatic-Pacific-Campaign-1.jpgEuropean-Africian-Middle-Eastern-CampaigWorld-War-II-Victory-4-1.jpg
Bingo-6.jpgAIT-Ribbon-3.jpghttps://images.eighthid.com/awards/Army_Service_Ribbon.jpg

armystaff-1.pnginstructor-1.pngrecruiter-1.pngPersonnel-1.pngoperations-1.pngMilitary-Police.png

SS-2-Years.png

Previous Positions

Official Realism Record
Leader - 5-0
Assistant Leader - 2-0

Inner Unit - 0-2

I know he's probably terrible to some people, but ever since I read The Testament by John Grisham, I have been hooked. I have read or listened to every single one of this adult books (didn't do the Theodore Boone ones). His writing has a way of sucking me into a story that I have trouble putting down.

The other series I really enjoy listening to is the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo novels. The original author passed away, but the guy the estate selected to continue the stories has done a pretty good job.

Of course...

GAME OF THRONES

1_207.png

Combat Infantry BadgePathfinder Badge

Meritorious Unit Citation w/ 3 OLCPresidential Unit Citation w/ 3 OLC

Prisoner-of-War-1.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpgDistinguished Service RibbonAmerican Defense Service Ribbon w/ 2 OLCArmy Achievement Ribbon w/ 1 OLCPurple Heart Ribbon

European African Middle Eastern Campaign RibbonAsian Pacific Campaign RibbonWorld War II Victory Ribbon w/ 2 StarsEvent Recognition Ribbon w/ 2 OLCArmy Service RibbonProfessional Development Ribbon

Command Staff

24 Month Service Stripe

I'll start it off!

My favorite read of all time is Watchmen by Alan Moore.

This book/graphic novel/comic is one that I've read 9 times since I first received it from a friend in 2010. I have done an almost annual re-read since then. Last year was the first year that I did not.

It's the only graphic novel to make Time Magazine's All-Time best 100 English language Novels from 1923 to 2005. It ranked at #18.

The comic is based on an alternate timeline of the world where superheroes came into existence in the 1930s and had major social influence through major events such as the Vietnam War and Nixon Administration. Due to protests by civilians and police against them, they become outlawed and the story takes place in the 1980s during the Cold War as nuclear armageddon becomes more and more of a reality and the heroes of the disbanded group "the Watchmen," attempt to discover who is trying to kill them off and potentially cause world disaster.

It's a great take on realistic heroes and the problems they face as people. It has its moments where it feels like a normal comic book, but then uses that against you as the reader to throw plot twists into the story. The writing and illustration are superb and I recommend it to most anyone, even non-comic readers.

LOVE Watchmen, and just about anything else by Alan Moore.

CIB-2-1.pngimage.png

armystaff-1.pngOWI.pngChaplain-1.png

image.png     challenge_coin.png

John Wayne Westerns GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Words Are What Men Live By... Words They Say And Mean - John Wayne

My favorite author is Stephen R. Lawhead. He writes historical fiction/fantasy. For me, his writing is perfect for me as he's incredibly visual. I'm currently reading his Eirlandia series of books. This series dives into the Celtic world, set in Bronze Age Ireland, where Faeries still roam the islands, and warring tribes and clans vie for power. The story begins as the largest warhost the island has ever seen is about to make landfall. The stories are Inspired by Lawhead's study of the ancient Irish text, The Book of Invasions.

Part action, part mystery, and a huge helping of history go into the first book of the series, Region of the Summer Stars. Lawhead put in tons of research, and he layers on the details while building incredible depth. You can see his words, and that's why he's such a favorite of mine.

IN%20THE%20REGION%20OF%20THE%20SUMMER%20STARS%20-%20High.webp91yZ9e4UDkL.webpKingdom%20of%20all%20Tomorrows.webp

CIB-2-1.pngimage.png

My favorite author is Stephen R. Lawhead. He writes historical fiction/fantasy. For me, his writing is perfect for me as he's incredibly visual. I'm currently reading his Eirlandia series of books. This series dives into the Celtic world, set in Bronze Age Ireland, where Faeries still roam the islands, and warring tribes and clans vie for power. The story begins as the largest warhost the island has ever seen is about to make landfall. The stories are Inspired by Lawhead's study of the ancient Irish text, The Book of Invasions.

Part action, part mystery, and a huge helping of history go into the first book of the series, Region of the Summer Stars. Lawhead put in tons of research, and he layers on the details while building incredible depth. You can see his words, and that's why he's such a favorite of mine.

Whoa! I've never even heard of this author or this series but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy! I'm gonna add it to my goodreads queue and pick it up the first book once I get through my current reads. You've got me excited.

358_3.png

spacer.png

CIB-3-1.png

SS-2-Years.png

Previous Positions

Official Realism Record
Leader - 5-0
Assistant Leader - 2-0

Inner Unit - 0-2

Whoa! I've never even heard of this author or this series but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy! I'm gonna add it to my goodreads queue and pick it up the first book once I get through my current reads. You've got me excited.

You should check out his site if you get the chance... http://www.stephenlawhead.com/ He's written some wonderful books over the years.

CIB-2-1.pngimage.png

I know he's probably terrible to some people, but ever since I read The Testament by John Grisham, I have been hooked. I have read or listened to every single one of this adult books (didn't do the Theodore Boone ones). His writing has a way of sucking me into a story that I have trouble putting down.

Love Grisham. I've loved the books and I've loved the movies. He's an excellent writer and seems to be a decent man as well; which I always appreciate.

CIB-2-1.pngimage.png

Gary Paulsen is one of my favorite authors with two of my favorite series. The first of which starts with the book Hatchet and the second starts with a book titled Mr. Tucket. Hatchet is set in the Canadian bush and Mr. Tucket is set in the wild west. Basic premise for both is a teenage boy trying to survive in harsh conditions.

Hatchet-Inspire-Reflection-ART_16-9.jpg.corpimagerendition.xxl.1400.788.png

51xanGZLnrL.jpg

Another series that I have read for a long time is...The Hardy Boys. The Hardy Boys are basically teenage detectives that go on crazy adventures to solve mysteries. However, this series is roughly 190 books long and ran from 1927-2005. There are spin offs and such that have continued but the "Original" series has ended. I have not read all 190 books but I am pushing over 60 read.

Failure is success if we learn from it

Gary Paulsen is one of my favorite authors with two of my favorite series. The first of which starts with the book Hatchet and the second starts with a book titled Mr. Tucket. Hatchet is set in the Canadian bush and Mr. Tucket is set in the wild west. Basic premise for both is a teenage boy trying to survive in harsh conditions.

51xanGZLnrL.jpg

Another series that I have read for a long time is...The Hardy Boys. The Hardy Boys are basically teenage detectives that go on crazy adventures to solve mysteries. However, this series is roughly 190 books long and ran from 1927-2005. There are spin offs and such that have continued but the "Original" series has ended. I have not read all 190 books but I am pushing over 60 read.

Damn, I haven't thought about Hatchet in years. I remember reading it in like grade 5 and loving it.

LqAiU3n.jpg

CIB-3-1.pngpathfinder-1.png

Presidential-Unit-Citation-6.jpgMeritorious-Unit-Citation-6.jpg

Good-Conduct-1.jpgSilver-Star-1.jpgBronze_Star_5.jpgPurple-Heart-2-1.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpgArmy-Commendation-2-1.jpgArmy-Achievement-2.jpgAmerican-Defense-Service-3-1.jpg

Asiatic-Pacific-Campaign-1.jpgEuropean-Africian-Middle-Eastern-Campaign-1.jpgWorld-War-II-Victory-4-1.jpgArmed-Forces-Service-6.jpgBingo-4.jpg

AIT-Ribbon.jpg

armystaff-1.pngOWI.pngoperations-1.pnginstructor-1.pngMilitary-Police.png

SS-2-Years.png

thompson_current.png

• 1 month later...

Hello!

My favorite read of all time is "The Anasazi Mystery Series" by W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear.

This series is comprised of 3 books: The Visitant, The Summoning God, and Bonewalker. Very good read if you like mystery, suspense, and vividly described worlds.

Synopsis:

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear, award-winning archaeologists and international bestselling authors, breathe new life into the vanished world of the Anasazi, bringing out the spirit, the loves, and a mysterious world where mystery and horror lurk in every shadow, behind every door, sometimes right before you. Dive 800 years into the past—a world of danger, murder and a power that transcends time.

The Visitant483278.jpg The Summoning God 89631.jpg Bonewalker 483254.jpg

A. Garza |8th ID|

{Garzilla}

CIB-1-1.pngpathfinder-1.png

Meritorious-Unit-Citation-1.jpg

Good-Conduct-1.jpgAsiatic-Pacific-Campaign-1.jpgEuropean-Africian-Middle-Eastern-Campaig

World-War-II-Victory-3-1.jpgArmed-Forces-Service-2.jpgBingo-6.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpg

AIT-Ribbon.jpgArmy_Service_Ribbon.jpg

OWI.pnginstructor-1.png

SS-2-Years.png

51xanGZLnrL.jpg

Dude! Hatchet was a cornerstone book for me! It is one of my earliest remembered books and one I can still remember so much about! Love it!

358_3.png

spacer.png

CIB-3-1.png

SS-2-Years.png

Previous Positions

Official Realism Record
Leader - 5-0
Assistant Leader - 2-0

Inner Unit - 0-2

Hello!

My favorite read of all time is "The Anasazi Mystery Series" by W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear.

This series is comprised of 3 books: The Visitant, The Summoning God, and Bonewalker. Very good read if you like mystery, suspense, and vividly described worlds.

Synopsis:

W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear, award-winning archaeologists and international bestselling authors, breathe new life into the vanished world of the Anasazi, bringing out the spirit, the loves, and a mysterious world where mystery and horror lurk in every shadow, behind every door, sometimes right before you. Dive 800 years into the past—a world of danger, murder and a power that transcends time.

The Visitant483278.jpg The Summoning God 89631.jpg Bonewalker 483254.jpg

These sound really good! The danger of this thread is that my "to read" list will never stop growing haha

358_3.png

spacer.png

CIB-3-1.png

SS-2-Years.png

Previous Positions

Official Realism Record
Leader - 5-0
Assistant Leader - 2-0

Inner Unit - 0-2

The 'Fancy Jack Crossman' historical fiction series by Garry Douglas Kilworth. Every book until 'Brothers of the Blade'.

'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman

Otherwise I don't read much fiction. I'm much more into non-fiction, philosophy and history books. I recommend almost anything by Plato (just be prepared to do some research and if you read 'The Republic' be ready to read it several times), Maurice Merleau-Ponty was the source of an epiphany, and Baruch Spinoza I recommend to those who'd like to sample the derivation of all of existence from 5 essential propositions.

Fallen Angels

Author: Wayne Dean Myers

51rLW4jQ8JL.jpg

Synopsis:

"A coming-of-age tale for young adults set in the trenches of the Vietnam War in the late 1960s, this is the story of Perry, a Harlem teenager who volunteers for the service when his dream of attending college falls through. Sent to the front lines, Perry and his platoon come face-to-face with the Vietcong and the real horror of warfare. But violence and death arent the only hardships. As Perry struggles to find virtue in himself and his comrades, he questions why black troops are given the most dangerous assignments, and why the U.S. is there at all."

I chose to read this book in High School and loved it. Going to re-read it as an adult. I remember it being entertaining and profound.

A. Garza |8th ID|

{Garzilla}

Good-Conduct-1.jpgAsiatic-Pacific-Campaign-1.jpgEuropean-Africian-Middle-Eastern-Campaig

World-War-II-Victory-3-1.jpgArmed-Forces-Service-2.jpgBingo-6.jpgLegion-of-Merit-1.jpg

OWI.pnginstructor-1.png

SS-2-Years.png

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon.com: The C. S. Lewis Signature Classics: An Anthology of 8 C. S.  Lewis Titles: Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, Miracles, The Great  Divorce, The ... The Abolition of Man, and The

This man and Tolkien are two of my all-time faves. I'm still yet to read the Narnia books though.

Edited by Fox 8th ID

untitled - GIF on Imgur

Resident Weeb

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

12 minutes ago, Lanier 8th ID said:

All I've read from Lewis is the Narnia books, but some of this others are on my "you need to eventually read these" list.

Nice! His non-fiction is very good. As one might expect if they're remotely familiar with Lewis, much of his non-fiction is religious, but there's lots of good stuff in there and he doesn't beat you over the head with it and strangle you.

Edited by Fox 8th ID

untitled - GIF on Imgur

Resident Weeb

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Søren Kierkegaard

Really gotta get more towards reading the Light Novels I have for Overlord and Saga of Tanya the Evil

8th ID Ribbons/Medals

***** COMBAT BADGES ***** CIB-2-1.png

***** UNIT CITATIONS ***** Meritorious-Unit-Citation-1.jpgPresidential-Unit-Citation-1.jpg

***** 2nd ROW ***** Silver-Star-1.jpg

***** 1st ROW ***** Army_Service_Ribbon.jpgBingo-3.jpg Legion-of-Merit-1.jpg

***** OFFICE INSIGNIAS / CHALLENGE COIN ***** challenge_coin.png Personnel-1.png recruiter-1.png operations-1.png

***** WEAPON CHALLENGES ***** thompson_past.pngredrocket_current.png

***** SERVICE STRIPES ***** SS-6-Months.png

Intra-Service Ribbons/Medals

***** 9th ROW ***** Kc88h8p.jpgDTWOTtw.jpg

***** 8th ROW ***** 8FR6Azk.jpgEtM65D0.png32jSMnW.pngogPq3PP.png

***** 7th ROW ***** tb46yaz.pngrOsJSx5.pngOs0TvTA.pngSrf4IPb.jpg

***** 6th ROW ***** JmZm8bW.jpgN1bA3CM.pngeESmWBI.pngz7oMcp1.jpg

***** 5th ROW ***** pQ7QFfR.png1BVAW4O.jpgoUiJNJv.pngHotitLk.png

***** 4th ROW ***** N7oiHBJ.jpgGUje5In.jpgQrfWMpR.pngF230p7L.png

***** 3rd ROW ***** qHlZ37O.jpgRXNui9M.jpgGvLkNQ2.jpgE8CnupD.jpg

***** 2nd ROW ***** giuUofb.jpgKviw5RC.pngNLzprj6.jpgZh3vEL5.png

***** 1st ROW ***** l4me9Bb.pngcqqKC8S.pnghnriSbp.jpghDv6VGt.jpg

"A foil sword doth not a ninja make."

***** BADGES ***** 8BSRfQm.png liY3wVr.pngXLtjtW9.png3lwUXqg.pngtp040eV.pngfCkVAlh.png5pdSqhi.png

Retired
BCT Class 117 | Nov 13, 2009

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Conan the Barbarian

Robert E. Howard

conan-the-barbarian.jpg

Conan the Barbarian includes the stories originally written by Howard to be published in the magazine Weird Tales in the 1930s. These include the first published Conan story 'The Phoenix on the Sword' and short stories such as 'The Tower of the Elephant' through to longer tales like 'A Witch Shall Be Born' and the novel 'The Hour of the Dragon'.

Although many have taken up the challenge to extend Conan's adventures over the years, Howard was a master of his craft, lovingly creating a mythical world in which his original masterpieces reign supreme.

Conan the Barbarian is a name known throughout Cimmeria, Brythinia, Turan and all the territories bordering the Vilayec Sea - as well as most countries more familiar to us in the real world. The character has become a multi-faceted industry all on his own with toys, comics, card games, role playing games, TV series, movies (starring Anrold Schwarzenegger), video games and board games making him as famous in our world today as he was in his own world during The Hyborian Age.

About the Author

(1906-1936) Robert Erwin Howard was born and raised in rural Texas, where he lived all his life. The son of a pioneer physician, he began writing professionally at the age of fifteen. Howard killed himself in June 1936 when he learned that his beloved mother had fallen into a coma.

A. Garza |8th ID|

{Garzilla}

OWI.pnginstructor-1.png

SS-2-Years.png